September 8, 2016 (DAYTON, Ohio) — TEDxDayton organizers have released the speaker lineup for the 2016 signature event, which will take place on Friday, Oct. 14, at the Victoria Theatre in Dayton. As in previous years, organizers anticipate a fast sell-out. Only 16 percent of unsold tickets remain.
“There’s a lot of energy building in our community,” said TEDxDayton co-chair Ron Rollins. “People want to have challenging conversations about where we’re headed, and they’re looking for new ideas. This event brings new perspectives to the table and asks questions we haven’t thought to ask.”
Nineteen speakers will present on this year’s theme—SEARCH. “This year’s theme really captures the spirit of TED,” said TEDxDayton chair Diane Farrell. “We attract an active audience. They inquire. They investigate. When they enter the theatre on Oct. 14, they won’t just be expecting entertainment, they’ll be seeking information, inspiration, and connection—and with this year’s powerful speakers, that’s what they’re going to find.”
- Salma Albezreh, Student, Morton Middle School
- Tyler Back, CEO, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Joe Deer, Professor and Musical Theatre Initiative Director, Wright State University
- Neenah Ellis, General Manager, WYSO
- Scot Ganow, Attorney, Faruki Ireland & Cox P.L.L.
- Cassie Guard, Owner and CEO, Femme Fatale Fitness
- Ambassador Tony Hall, Executive Director Emeritus, Alliance to End Hunger
- Ryan Ireland, Publicity and Marketing Coordinator, Greene County Public Library
- Moriba Jah, Director, University of Arizona Space Object Behavioral Sciences
- Linda Jones, Vice President of Finance and Administration, Software Solutions, Inc.
- Darren Kall, Co-founder, Specific Clarity
- Heidi Landes, Parent Coach, Courage for Parents.com
- Deanna Murphy, Co-founder, Brigid’s Path
- Robert Owens, Educational Consultant, Signature Educational Solutions
- Lance Salyers, Senior Director, LexisNexis Legal & Professional
- Jo’el Thomas-Jones, Community Support Coordinator and Co-founder, Neighborhoods Over Politics
- David Webb, President and CEO, The Funk Music Hall of Fame & Exhibition Center
- Brenden Wynn, Operations Manager, Providence Medical Group
- Jonah Yokoyama, Executive Director, Heartland Trans Wellness Group
Craig Schrolucke, TEDxDayton marketing committee chair
Val Beerbower, TEDxDayton marketing committee co-chair
Rachel Graves, TEDxDayton speakers committee co-chair
About TEDx, x = independently organized event
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading, usually in the form of short, powerful talks (18 minutes or fewer) delivered by today’s leading thinkers and doers. Many of these talks are given at TED’s annual conference in Vancouver, British Columbia, and made available, free, on TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Nandan Nilekani, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Sal Khan and Daniel Kahneman.
TED’s open and free initiatives for spreading ideas include TED.com, where new TED Talk videos are posted daily; the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as translations from thousands of volunteers worldwide; the educational initiative TED-Ed; the annual million-dollar TED Prize, which funds exceptional individuals with a “wish,” or idea, to create change in the world; TEDx, which provides licenses to thousands of individuals and groups who host local, self-organized TED-style events around the world; and the TED Fellows program, which selects innovators from around the globe to amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.