Please be sure to review the entire page to find the volunteer information you might be looking for.
Thank you for volunteering to assist with registration! John Owen, Natalie Skilliter or Cate Berger will be your primary contact for any day of registration questions. John and Natalie will primarily be at the information table, which will be adjacent to the main registration bar.
- Registration for attendees starts at 8:30 AM. We would like you to be at the Victoria at 8:00 AM which is when the volunteer door will be opened.
- When a guest comes up to pick up their nametag greet them with a “Welcome to TEDxDayton. What’s the last name?” or something similar. Nametags will be sorted in shoeboxes by alphabetical order.
- We’re expecting some confusion between the general registration and the speakers/sponsors. We will be placing multiple lists of every registered guest, volunteer, speaker, sponsor, etc. at both registration bars. If you are unable to find the person’s nametag this list will be your first stop. There will be a “runner” volunteer whose job the day of will be to go back and forth between the counters and getting nametags.
- Some people will come up and not have a name tag but an index card. This signifies they still have to pay for the event. Have those people bring the index card to the information table.
- Some people may come up and not have a name tag or index card. Have those people come to the registration table.
- Not everyone’s nametag will be completely filled out, especially on the speakers/sponsors side. There will be a pub tables scattered throughout the lobby that will have markers to fill out the nametags. There will also be stickers to put over items on their nametag that people want to change.
- A band will start playing at 9:00 and the first talk will start around 9:20. Those last 10 minutes of your shift we would appreciate if you helped consolidate the nametags (still in order) into a couple of boxes and give them to the information table.
Volunteer Position: Volunteer Check-in 8am-5pm
Main duties at Volunteer Check-in: Dedicate your day to running the “Volunteer HQ”- breaks will be provided to you as volunteers. You will manage check in for all volunteers, be a point of reference for all involved, will assist the Volunteer Management team, and also provide oversight to the Volunteer Green Room.
Volunteer Balcony Guides
Volunteer Position: Balcony Guides 8am-5pm
Main Goal as a Balcony Guide: maintain order and quite in the balcony area. There will be speakers moving in and out of this area, so being able to move them in and out of the area without causing disturbance is key.
As a balcony guide you will be able to watch program while working. But your main priority is to maintain order, assist speakers and performers with entering and maneuvering the balcony area, while ensuring videography is undisturbed.
Volunteer Snack Break
Volunteer Position: Snack Break 2-3:30pm
Main Duties: When the time for a break approaches it is your job to manage the distribution of the afternoon snack and assist Ushers and Inside Greeters with participant movement.
The crowd is going to be very large, and many people will want to not only get a snack, but possibly use the restroom as well. Be aware of the nearest restrooms at where you will be distributing the snacks. Encourage conversation with the attendees to get input of what they have seen so far throughout the program!
General info you should know:
Before the audience is released to lunch (at 12:00pm) we will be in place in both the lobby of the Victoria ready to usher the audience across the street and in the Wintergarden ready to welcome guests and direct them to their dining options.
There are three dining options:
- Salad with Chicken, fruit cup, and brownie or cookie
- Turkey wrap with cheese, lettuce and tomato
- Vegetarian wrap with hummus, avocado, lettuce, and tomato
Each person’s nametag will be marked with an S, T, or V indicating the type of meal they have pre-selected
There will be a band playing in the Wintergarden to entertain the guests
The audience committee is going to facilitate an exercise with the audience: each table will come up with a word and write it on a flashcard at their table
As 1:00pm approaches another performer (Todd the Fox) will lead the audience back to the Victoria Theatre
Volunteer End-of-day Program
Volunteer Position: End of Program Guides 4:30-5:15pm
Main Duties: We need happy people to thank people for coming, hand out their end of day gift, and also point people in the direction of the many after parties! The locations of the after parties are to be announced.
When you are directing people to the after parties, ask them how they enjoyed the event!
Volunteer Training PPT
Just in case you missed the training day, here’s an overview of the information.
Do not be timid! If you are not reminding people to remain quiet it could ruin the experience of the audience below. Remember that you are there to maintain, and if at all possible, to improve the quality of the experience for all.
Be enthusiastic! TEDxDayton is a great event and there will be many excited people in the audience. Have a smile on, and share your excitement to be there!
Don’t hesitate to ask for help! You will be given your coordinators phone numbers, so if you come into a situation that you feel the need to reach one of us please do not hesitate.
Cate Berger (937) 789-8733
Gabrielle Morin (574)-360-0249
You will be provided with a t-shirt and nametag to wear at the event. Please keep both of these on while you are volunteering in order to be able to make us available to all attendees.
The Day of the Event:
Please Arrive at 7:45 at the Victoria Theatre! At this time we will designate you to your position, as well as answering any last minute questions!
PRESENTATIONS: Victoria Theatre, 138 N Main St Dayton, OH 45402
LUNCH: The Wintergarden at the Benjamin & Marian Schuster Center, 1 W 2nd St Dayton, OH 45402
• We will provide you with lunch at the theatre.